Speaking from experience, you absolutely must take this into consideration whether you are aware of your guests food allergies/sensitivities or not. Whether you are planning a wedding, corporate event or an employee function you need to be mindful when making menu selections. A handful of guests will be vegan, vegetarian, kosher, gluten-free, or pescatarian. Others may suffer from an array of different food allergies, all ranging from mild to severe. Accommodating these important restrictions and allergies is an important part of making all guests feel comfortable and satisfied throughout the event. One selection can accommodate multiple requirements.
– Understand your guests’ dietary restrictions
– Ask about allergies on the RSVP card
– Work with your caterer/chef to create a meal plan
– Serve allergen-free options if you are not sure, better to play it safe
– If the meal is served buffet-style, then all food should be labeled (this should be done regardless)
– Ensure that your servers are well educated on the menu being served and ready to answer any questions when asked
No one wants to “stand out” when they need accommodations. If you are not aware of any requirements, then try to include a few options to ensure everyone will feel welcomed and considered.